Records show that a Methodist Church was created in the village in 1815 and the present church building dates from 1871.
Elston Methodist Sunday school had long association with the Newark and district Sunday school union. Thirteen times in 22 years Elston won the scripture examination shield, more times than any other Sunday school. Sadly the Sunday school is no more.
In 1973 the village took a step towards Christian unity when a new school serving both Anglican and Methodist communities was opened. The official opening of the school was on 20th May 1974 when the President of the Methodist Conference accompanied by the Bishop of Southwell opened the School. We still have strong links with the School.